Instructions For Activating Water Kefir Grains
- Heat 3-4 cups water.
- Pour into glass jar.
- Dissolve 1/4 cup cane sugar in the water.
- Cool to 68°-85°F.
- Empty entire packet of dehydrated water kefir grains into cooled sugar water.
- Cover with a coffee filter or cloth, secured by a rubber band.
- Place in a warm spot, 68°-85°F, for 3-4 days.
- After 4 days grains should be plump and translucent. They are now ready to make water kefir. Strain the sugar water off and discard it.
Instructions For Making Water Kefir
- Pour 1/4 cup sugar into the jar.
- Add 1/2 cup hot water.
- Swirl to dissolve the sugar.
- Add 3 cups room temperature or cool water.
- Check the temperature of the liquid to make sure it's room temperature (68°-85°F).
- Add the water kefir grains
- Cover the jar and place in a warm spot, 68°-85°F, to culture for 24-48 hours.
- After culturing is complete, prepare a new batch of sugar water, (steps 1-4 above).
- Separate kefir grains from the finished water kefir.
- Place kefir grains in the new batch of sugar water.
- The finished water kefir is now ready to consume, flavor, bottle, or store in the refrigerator.
Making Larger Batches
To make larger batches, use up to 8 cups water and 1/4 cup cane sugar per quart of water. Click here for more info on changing the batch size.
Click the link below to view and download a PDF of the instruction sheet that was included in your starter culture box.